Friday, October 18, 2013

Introducing Our Jr. Lighthouse Team!!!

A major component of "The Leader in Me" is developing student leaders and one of the steps toward this goal is the formation of a Jr. Lighthouse Team. Think of them as Student Council and The Welcome Wagon all rolled into one.... on steroids! These awesome students have really come into their own and developed into the leaders we hoped they would be. The Jr. Lighthouse Team meets every 2 weeks, and plan events.


They served us breakfast one morning, which was really, really nice!








They help with the operation of our school, such as conducting morning announcements, unlocking doors for subs and even have acted as tour guides to visitors.






To be selected for the Jr. Lighthouse Team the students had to write a speech outlining why they wanted to be on the Lighthouse Team and give the speech in front of the WHOLE 5th grade.


The 5th grade then voted for who they thought would make the best Jr. Lighthouse Team members. 









Once the team was selected, they completed an all day training program and signed a contract, outlining responsibilities and behavior expectations. I could go on and on, but I thought it would be nice if you could meet our team and let them tell about what it took to be chosen for the Jr. Lighthouse Team and what it means to be a Jr. Lighthouse member. So without further ado (drum roll, please)......




 
Introducing, the Ortiz All Star
Jr. Lighthouse Team!!


Asheri

“The visit from Leadership Abilene was amazing. We got to tell them about the 7 habits. My favorite habit is Habit #6 Synergize.”

 


Jaci
4th grade

Jacob

“I like being on the Lighthouse Team because I get to help the school and show kids how to be a leader.”


Shalom
4th grade










Alyssa
“I want to be on the Lighthouse Team because I want people to look back at us and do what we are doing right now. I will be successful, smart and brave like everyone should be. “




Isabella
4th grade

Elvira

“I know I’m a leader, but now I can show it. I always wanted to tell people they matter and to be a person that helps people.”

 



Noah
4th grade


Angelita
“It took me a while to decide to be on the Lighthouse Team, but I said to myself it was time to be brave. This is the time for me to try something new for once in a lifetime. I also wanted to learn how to be a good leader for the younger ones so in the future there will be lots of good leaders.”







Timothy
4th grade


Brent
“Leaders are kind, respected, and nice. Being on this team will help me prepare for being a leader in the future.”







Vivianna
4th grade

 

Victoria
“I love being on the Jr. Lighthouse Team! I wanted to be on the team because I felt like it was my thing. The Lighthouse Team could prepare me for the future by being a counselor at a school. My family is really proud of me for trying something new. My mom inspires me to never quit.”






Hannah
5th grade
Jennah
“The Jr. Lighthouse Team is a wonderful thing to participate in. Being part of the team will help me be a better leader because it will allow me to take a stand, help others and use our 7 habits. The Jr. Lighthouse Team has brought me happiness, success and a whole lot of leadership!”






Stephanie



5th grade

Jayden Stackhouse

“I wanted to be a member of the Jr. Lighthouse Team, but I was a little nervous. Mrs. Holcomb and Mr. Riddle encouraged me a lot. So thank you Mrs. Holcomb and Mr. Riddle!”





Evelynn

I am a part of the Jr. Lighthouse Team. The reason why is because I want to learn how to be a leader on campus.”



I cannot tell you how proud we are of these guys!





No comments:

Post a Comment